Announcing PlatoCDP, a Plone distribution for enterprises.
Announcing the first release of PlatoCDP Plone distribution. A Plone distribution with the goal of attempting to build a more supportable, enterprise-ready, document management and content management solution for government and enterprises. The ideal aim is to develop improvements on the distribution so that it will be a viable alternative to Sharepoint.
So what is it exactly?
- An enterprise Plone distribution - that is, an integrated product which includes Plone, selected Plone add-ons, 3rd party softwares and integration/automation improvements to deliver an enterprise ready product for customers.
- Is it a rebrand of Plone? - It is an enterprise distribution product. PlatoCDP to Plone is like RHEL to Fedora. It is not a mere rebrand. PlatoCDP includes core Plone, additional components from the collective and its own improvements. We engage on packaging, certification and development activities to make the whole stack supportable for enterprises. These components of the distribution will be supported by KOSLAB through our support subscription.
- Major features highlights of PlatoCDP 4.0b1
- Out of the box clustered Plone setup - preconfigured for high availability and scaling.
- Out of the box support of collective.documentviewer. The whole setup is fully functional with very minimal effort.
- Commonly used add-ons such as
- and more (dependency list)
- Some future roadmap in mind
- Development of cluster management console to aid system administrators in managing, scaling and monitoring PlatoCDP deployments, plus aiding with filing bugs and support requests.
- Fix WSAPI4Plone and include it into distribution, and provide an API for 3rd party integration.
- Marketplace for 3rd party add-on/themes
- Video conversion integration (possibly from Plumi transcoder)
- Mobile client
- Folder sync client
- Cloud offering
- Upstream commitment - Having been a Fedora Ambassador for over 7 years now, I believe in the philosophy of innovating on upstream rather than downstream. Therefore, wherever practical, PlatoCDP improvements shall be developed primarily on the Plone collective.